Many people still have silver/mercury fillings in their mouths from years past. These fillings are not particularly pleasing to the eye, and we know that by unavoidable design, silver/mercury fillings ultimately result in a weaker tooth structure. Porcelain inlays and Tooth Colored Restorations (onlays) create fillings that are not only beautiful (or unnoticeable) but also add strength to weakened teeth. These restorations are esthetically pleasing and very strong thanks to new bonding technologies.
Disadvantages of Silver fillings:
Although they are quite durable, silver fillings often breakdown over time. The edges of the silver filling can wear down, become weak or break. This results in the tooth not being protected and lets cavities get started once again. With age, the metal of a silver filling expands, contracts, and can split.
Fortunately, silver fillings can safely be replaced with Tooth-Colored Restorations.
Advantages of Tooth-Colored RestorationsThere are many advantages to tooth-colored restorations. Ceramic Onlays are bonded to the teeth creating a tight, superior fit to the natural tooth. Such restorations can be used in instances where much of the tooth structure has been lost. The tooth remains intact and stronger.
The result is a beautiful smile!
Replacing Silver Fillings with a Tooth Colored Restoration
You can have your silver fillings replaced with tooth-colored restorations (onlays). This process can often be performed in one appointment, utilizing a CEREC Cad-Cam system that we offer.
- The old filling is removed along with any additional decay.
- The tooth is scanned using a proprietary infrared scanner, and the image is used to create a precise 3D image of the tooth.
- We then design a virtual replacement of the missing portion of the tooth on the computer.
- The CEREC device then mills a precisely shaped “puzzle piece” out of a very strong ceramic materiel.
- The inlay or onlay is then bonded in place, and is almost invisible to the naked eye
- The final restoration is polished to give it a smooth contour.
Your teeth are restored to a natural look and feel, they are stronger and the tooth is protected!